Thursday, December 21, 2006

Who's The Boss?

As postscript to yesterday's entry I wish to report the following.

Right after lunch today I stepped into the bathroom to brush my teeth and as I stood there brushing something caught my eye.

I turned and glanced down at the doorway. Tink was sitting there like the great Sphinx looking at me with a very strange, wide eyed, comical expression. It was that, but it was also guilty looking. It's not unusual for Tink to dog me into the bathroom but what was unusual was suddenly noticing his brand new collar fully extended on the floor in front of his paws.

He had gotten it off.

The thing is, I did not have the physical ability yesterday to over ride the safety clasp, which ostensibly, should release with a firm tug. I almost pulled my dang brains out and couldn't get it to budge. I'm not a physicist, but clasps aren't rocket science. I'm telling ya, the thing was not going to budge for anyone. I wrote it off to crappy manufacturing, you know - the usual and forgot about it.

I closed the clasp again and tried to pull it apart. No go. Impossible. No mere mortal could do it.

How did Tinker the Stinker manage to not only get it open, but lay it out in a straight line at my feet? What a funny boy. He REALLY wanted it off, and as I see it, if he was so bothered by it that he used kitty scalar technology to overcome it, he should probably get his way on this one. At least for the time being. He is an indoor only kitty so I suppose a few more weeks without a collar would be all right. And perhaps a different one should be tried. A scalar proof collar. I should probably call around first on that one.

This was a great example of wanting your freedom bad enough to overcome someone who thinks they have the right to deny your free will. I couldn't get the thing open, but Tink did. And he doesn't even have opposable thumbs. All of my supposed advantages were not nearly as bodaciously superior as I thought. The moral of the story? Just because somebody thinks they have the right to run your life and even though they hold all the cards, it is no guarantee of success and no more true than you tell yourself it is.

And that's all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment